RE: Installing 3rd party files w/o knowing all dependencies

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: Installing 3rd party files w/o knowing all dependencies
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:16:04 -0400 (EDT)

  KT> Yeah I guess I could do that... but there are an almost infinite
  KT> number of build targets within the tree and I want to avoid
  KT> trying to name them all.

If you have the 'AddTarget' patch I posted a while ago (May 4th), you
can just AddTarget() each of your EXTLIBS and EXTBINS instead of using
Default().  This will cause them to always get built.

However in your case, it's so much simpler to use raw perl, that's
what I usually do.  Just put something like this at the end of your
Conscript/truct.  Then you can use perl's find or whatever you want,
and it's way easier to debug.  The only downside is since it doesn't
go through the cons infrastructure, using cons -p/pa/pw won't do the
right thing, none of the caching etc. happens, and the files don't go
through the dependency system, so they must exist when cons starts up.

  use File::Copy;

  for $src (@EXTBINS) {
      $dst = destname($src);
      copy($src, $dst), print "Making $dst\n" if (! -f $dst);
  }

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden