Build pruning

From: Gressett, Mark
Subject: Build pruning
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:55:16 -0400

Subject:
        Build pruning
   Date:
        Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:49:34 -0400
   From:
        Mark Gressett < address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

     To:
        address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

Hi everyone,

I'm running  Cons 1.8 on WinNT 4.0, SP 6.

I'm trying to get build pruning to work, e.g., 'cons build +stuff' would
build things on which 'stuff' depends, along with 'stuff', but would not
build things which depend on 'stuff'.

I have a top-level Construct file that builds Conscripts in
subdirectories, some of which build Conscripts in subdirectories, e.g.,
    Construct
        fooA\Conscript
        fooB\Conscript
            barA\Conscript
                stuff\Conscript
                otherstuff\Conscript

'cons build +stuff' doesn't work (it builds nothing), presumably because
fooA and fooB at the top level don't match 'stuff'.  'cons build +fooB
+barA +stuff' also doesn't work (it builds everything under barA).

Moving the list of leaf node Conscripts to the root (and eliminating the
interior node Conscripts) yields the documented behavior.  That is,
using this structure
    Construct
        fooA\Conscript
        fooB\barA\stuff\Conscript
        fooB\barA\othersutff\Conscript
'cons build +stuff' builds only fooB\barA\stuff.

I'd like to keeping the intermediate-level Conscripts.  Can anyone think
of a way to get build pruning to work without eliminating them?

Regards,
Mark