.consign files

From: Kolarik, Tony
Subject: .consign files
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:46:17 -0500

For some reason, (maybe to do with daylight savings time?) I've had a number
of people asking me about why everything is rebuilding today.  So I cleaned
out my build tree, sync'd from the version control system and said
        perl cons -d foo.exe
Then after letting some objects build I killed cons and did the exact same
command... with the exact same results, same dependencies, same object files
compiling, headers merrily Install'ing away.  And I can't seem to find a
.consign file. They aren't hidden on NT...

Is it true that a .consign only gets written after a target directory has
built completely?  I assumed that when an object - or any target - was
created there would be a record of it somewhere in a .consign, regardless of
what else rebuilt.  Its pretty disconcerting to see the same things building
over and over.

Does this sound right?
 -- Tony K.