Re: How to always build a target?

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: How to always build a target?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:27:13 -0500 (EST)

  EB> I'm converting my project from (recursive invocations of) nmake
  EB> to Cons.  Currently, the project generates a header (containing
  EB> the current date) on every invocation; the generating tool is
  EB> smart enough to not update the file if it's not necessary.  How
  EB> would I force the invocation of a Command script on every
  EB> invocation?

Usually in this situation I just invoke the tool directly from the
Conscript using system('versioninfo Include\GeneratedVersion.h').
This way it runs before any of the cons dependency analysis stuff gets
going.  If your versioninfo tool modifies GeneratedVersion.h, stuff
that depends on it will be rebuilt.  If not, it won't.  The only time
this doesn't work is if versioninfo can't be run at the beginning of
the build process, e.g. if you only want to run it sometimes, or if it
depends in turn on some other generated file.

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden