Re: CVS v1.124 fixed another problem too

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: CVS v1.124 fixed another problem too
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:59:39 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Alex Jacques wrote:
> In addition to fixing the problems listed in the CVS log, v1.124 fixed
> another problem I was having. Previously I was unable to put the build
> tree in a location where you would get spaces in an absolute file spec
> (pity me, I'm being forced to use Kluge2k). In other words, if a build
> tree was located under your "home" directory on Windows (eg under
> "C:\Documents and Settings\ajacques\My Documents") then cons would have
> a problem,

Can you describe, more specifically, what that problem was?

>            even though there was no whitespace in the file names of the
> build tree itself.  Since v1.124 uses relative rather than absolute file
> specs this is not a problem.

I'll certainly take your word for it that this fixed your problem, but
I'm having a hard time understanding why.  Cons' path name manipulation
is intended to not care whether there are spaces or not.  A little
more explanation would be helpful.

>                              Please bear this in mind for future mods so
> we don't lose this feature. It's greatly helping me get cons accepted
> around here as a make alternative.

Human memories fail (or move on to other things), so the way we try to
keep such things in mind is to add them to the regression test base.

Can you provide a stripped-down configuration that demonstrates the
problem you had that was solved by the 1.124 checkin?  Then, we can
guarantee the problem won't knowingly recur in the future.

> P.S. The problem that v1.124 was intended to (and does) fix makes the
> 2nd time in the last week or so that I was about to submit a bug report,
> only to find that the problem was already fixed in the latest CVS
> release. Thanks!

Just curious:  What was the first one?

        --SK