Re: Musings: Conscript-uptodate targets

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Musings: Conscript-uptodate targets
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:00:23 -0500 (EST)

  SK> I've thought for a while that directories could be handled like
  SK> any other target, and that the dependencies of a directory would
  SK> be all of the targets within that directory.  The practical
  SK> upshot is that I want to be able to do something like the
  SK> following to be able to tar up a subdirectory's derived files:

  SK> Command $env 'sub-dir.tar.gz', 'sub/dir', qq(
  SK> tar zcf %> %<
  SK> );

I like it.  It's not exactly the same as Zachary's model, because you
can have more than one Conscript per directory or more than one
directory per Conscript.  But it seems like a good compromise to me.
Could this be extended to do something at the very end, when all
targets are built?  Zachary's model can, by something like
Construct-up-to-date (instead of Conscript).  Maybe there could be a
special dir target of "/" or something?  Then we wouldn't need
AfterBuildAll.

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden