Re: Debugging dependencies

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: Debugging dependencies
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:24:43 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Eric Brown wrote:
> Is there any way to get cons to print out why it decided to rebuild a file?
> My current project rebuilds certain files every time Cons runs.  You can
> even run cons twice in a row, and the files will get rebuilt.  Running with
> the -d option yields an interesting set of dependencies, but doesn't signal
> which file caused the rebuild.

Unfortunately, this is part of the information that gets lost in
aggregating all of the dependencies into a single MD5 signature.  Cons
can only tell that the calculated signature is different from the
old one, and that the file must therefore be rebuilt.  It can't tell
directly which dependency's signature is the one that caused the
aggregate signature to be different.  I'd welcome suggestions for ways
this could be accomplished...

        --SK