Re: md5

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: md5
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:34:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 address@hidden wrote:
> However, I'm not awfully familiar with Perl and Perl installations and I'm
> wondering whether my Digest::MD5 is ok. I did the following search:
        .
        .
        .
> When I do perldoc Digest::MD5, it has
>
>      aix::Digest::MD5(36/Aug/1999 (perl 5.005, patch 03aix::Digest::MD5(3)
>
> at the top.
>
> Is this the correct version or do I need to install it from CPAN?

Looks like AIX chose to release OS-specific versions of modules...?
Interesting idea; it would avoid the problem of CPAN-installed modules
overwriting whatever they shipped, but having that extra "aix::"
appended to the beginning is a pain...

I'd have to guess that their aix::Digest::MD5 module is based on the
standard Digest::MD5 and wouldn't vary too much from the standard
interface.  If so, it should work just fine, except that you'll have
add "aix::Digest::MD5" to the line in Cons where it looks for the
Digest::MD5 and MD5 modules.

        --SK