RE: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: RE: Fwd: Suggestion about derived files and commands
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:04:49 -0400

In a previous message, Wayne Scott wrote:

> Has anyone written a patch for cons to fetch files from RCS or SCCS if
> needed like Gmake can do?

I'd rather not see cons have knowledge of version control
systems. What I'd rather see is that we provide a general way to Install
files
and build them (which I think we do for the most part..).

One of the main reasons for this is that we can't assume filesystem
access to a repository. What we should be able assume is that issuing
a relevant command would result in a file somewhere on our local
filesystem.

(Of course, if we went the way of creating Cons/*.pm modules, then we
should be able to create a Cons/RCS.pm and Cons/SCCS.pm etc.. which do
the right things in their area without bringing such knowledge into
cons itself.. yet another reason for splitting up cons into modules?)

> PS: I am at a new job that is *much* friendlier to open source
> projects if you want to be able to use my patch directly.

Excellent! Please keep the patches coming.. of course, for the very
first one, a copyright assignment is required.