Fw: CONS on OpenVMS

From: Don's Email
Subject: Fw: CONS on OpenVMS
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 10:32:22 -0700

Thanks for the input from Rajesh and Anthony.

I did play with the contruct. file in an attempt to setup a simple hello
world for the VMS environment.  My work resulted in a greater understanding
of the flexibility of CONS.  However, I ended with a deep recursion on
subroutine "futil::mkdir" at cons. line 2927.

I was unable to repeat the $ENV error I got initially and my perl
environment does support the assignment to $ENV.  DCL on OpenVMS system uses
symbols and logicals.  The perl $ENV structure is saved as a system logical.

I also do have all the required modules installed with perl (ie MD5).  So my
perl configuration should be compatible with CONS.

I'm attempting to perform the following commands in CONS:

1) I want to compile the hello.c code into hello.obj
$ CC /STAND=VAXC HELLO.C
2) I then link the resultant hello.obj (not .o as on Unix) to produce
hello.exe
$ LINK HELLO.OBJ

My construct file looks like:

*** cut here
$env = new cons(
           CC => 'CC',
           CCOM => '%CC /STAND=VAXC /OBJ=.OBJ',
           LINK => 'LINK',
           LINKCOM => '%LINK'
           );
Program $env 'hello.exe', 'hello.obj';
Objects $env 'hello.c';
*** cut here

I included the "Objects" method, otherwise CONS didn't know how to construct
the .OBJ file.

Thanks for any continued assistance on the OpenVMS platform,

Donald G Plugge