Re: hard links vs. sym links

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: Re: hard links vs. sym links
Date: 24 May 2001 13:08:57 -0400

"Gary Oberbrunner" <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe
>   (setq find-file-existing-other-name t)
> works on Gnu Emacs, but people tell me it doesn't on Xemacs.  (I said this
> back in December, so I'm repeating myself I guess.)

I don't know why I ignored you back in December.  Sorry.  I wonder if
this could be back-ported to XEmacs.  The documentation for this
variable on xemacs says:

,----[ C-h v find-file-existing-ther-name ]
| If this is true, then the `find-file' command will check the truenames
| of all visited files when deciding whether a given file is already in
| a buffer, instead of just `buffer-file-name'.  This means that if you
| attempt to visit another file which is a symbolic link to a file which
| is already in a buffer, the existing buffer will be found instead of a
| newly-created one.  This works if any component of the pathname
| (including a non-terminal component) is a symbolic link as well, but
| doesn't work with hard links (nothing does).
`----

I thought I had tested this with emacs 19.34.1, but I guess not.  I
just tried it and it worked just like you said.

> Also in either emacs, you want to setq backup-by-copying-when-linked to t so
> emacs writes the new version out to the same inode, and thus all other hard
> links see it.  This is probably how vim works.

Vim works just like gnu emacs does with find-file-existing-other-name
set.  That seems like the Right Thing To Do.  However, your tip on
backups is a good one.  I couldn't figure out how xemacs was screwing
it up.  I've actually just inhibited backups in my project directory
now.

> What I *really* would like is for the compiler error messages and gdb
> messages to refer to the source file!  Unfortunately this conflicts with
> some of cons' design goals.

Of course, there's nothing that can be done to gdb shy of changing the
way the binaries are compiled.  However, I've been toying with post
processing the compilation buffer and changing the filenames that the
compiler thinks it is reporting against.  I just haven't found the
right hook yet.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.  I'm listening this time!
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:address@hidden http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543