kudos and questions

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: kudos and questions
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:16:55 +0200

I discovered cons two days ago, was looking for Make replacements (had
looked at ready-made makefiles, ant, jam etc.). Kudos for putting up
something as complete and easy to use. In two days I have "consified" my
whole source tree
(http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/GtkRadiant/).

I have a few questions though .. the docs and FAQ are fairly complete
but I would have liked to see more working examples to figure it out.

Q: I have a script which generates header files that get included in the
code. This is used for automated build numbering for example. I can tell
what the outputs are, but I can't really tell what the inputs are (it
relies on a bunch of files, which can be overridden by environment
variables ..). So I need to have this script executed no matter what
when I run cons.

What I have right now: I added "Depends" statements on the generated
header files, this works fine, as the headers generation is called each
time. BUT the dependency scan is performed before the headers are
updated, this means that if the headers get changed, cons will not build
the affected files. So I would need to run the headers generation before
the scan, or during the scan when it does the check against the
headers..

Someone have a solution?

TTimo