RE: hard links vs. sym links

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: RE: hard links vs. sym links
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:19:38 -0700

I am using cons on a very large build system running on NT, Solaris and
HPUX.
I am using Greg's ":S" modifier for the compile rules on every platform,
that is
compilation happens from the source directory while intermediate files
reside in the
build directory.

Some of my projects generate intermediate .hpp and .cpp files.
My methods install these .hpp files into the include directory
and copy .cpp files into the original source directory where
compiler can find them. I do not see this pollution of the source
directory to be a problem.

But ":S" flag allows gdb and msdev to find the source files right away
and we can use cons for development as well as for nightly builds.
Developers would not accept cons if they had to manually specify paths
for every source directory (about 90) in gdb.

That is why since last September I have been asking to fold Greg's
(small) changes into the official cons tree and posted a patch some time
ago.
There are other people who use some version of this patch.

Greg, could you move my patch to the current cons and add some
documentation?
Last time Steven was asking for documentation and test cases.

Steven, can we finally add this flag and then people can use it or
not use it; I am pretty sure it does not break anything.

Let us evolve design goals, make them broader.

Thanks, Zach.