RE: cons - 2 things to think about

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: cons - 2 things to think about
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:09:58 -0400

Been there, done that.  You need AfterBuild.

Here's the general idea: build foo.in as usual, then do something like this
(I'm typing this in by hand, no testing, but hopefully you'll get the idea):

AfterBuild('foo.in', 'gen_src_list(...)');

sub gen_src_list {
  system("foo -list foo.in >/tmp/srclist");  # or whatever...
  SRCLIST=open('/tmp/srclist');
  while(<SRCLIST>) {
    push @generated_srcs, $env->Objects($_); # Dynamically add rule!
  }
  $env->Program("a.out", @generated_srcs);
}

The only two catches are:
 - something else must reference your a.out: it cannot be a top-level target
or cons won't find it and nothing will get built.  If you're building an
installer from it or something this will take care of it.  (I have an
AddTarget patch which does this, but it's not in 2.3.0.)

 - there may be some issues with perl packages above.  Make sure cons can
find your $env, and your gen_src_list.  I'm not sure how 2.3.0 is handling
this, but at the very least if you put them both in special named packages
it'll be sure to find them.  The thing to remember is that gen_src_list will
not get run when the rest of your Conscript does; it'll get run at build
time, when targets are being built, and the current package then may be
different.

- You *might* need to add a dependency here or there (with Depends), it all
depends. :-)

Enjoy!

-- Gary Oberbrunner