system and PATH on win32 -- a solution

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: system and PATH on win32 -- a solution
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:12:33 +0200 (MEST)

Hello consers,

After I sent the mail yesterday about "system" and PATH (a reply to
an earlier mail from Zachary Deretsky), the following has happened:

- I sent a mail to the "perl-win32-porters" mailing list describing
  the problem (I've been planning to do this ever since the
  discussion about system/PATH on the cons-list in April).
  My mail contained much the same information as my
  mail from yesterday on this list (but also with a patch to the
  Perl source that seemed to solve the problem for me).

- I got a quick response from Gurusamy Sarathy (at ActiveState),
  where he acknowledged that this was a bug in the "system"
  function in 5.6. He also supplied a better patch than mine.

So I hope that this will imply that the next version of ActiveState
Perl will have eliminated the problem.

/Johan Holmberg

PS

Links of interest:

the mails with subject "PATH & Perl 5.6 on Win32", and
"system & PATH problem in 5.6" in the lists:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/perl-win32-porters
    http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/cons-discuss/2001-April/thread.html

Eric Browns bug-report from Nov 2000, about the same problem:

    http://bugs.activestate.com/ActivePerl/incoming?id=1342

DS