RE: Are there Windows users of cons?

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: RE: Are there Windows users of cons?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:06:23 -0400

Zachary Deretsky wrote:
 > During the last YEAR there has been ZERO Windows support for cons.
 > Nothing was done in this area, and this is in the open source development
 > which prides itself on fast response.

Hmm.  I use cons regularly on Windows and Irix (and soon to be Linux and
MacOS X), with no problems.  I use bash as the shell for invoking commands,
so I don't get the long-link-command problem.  I don't use the Visual Studio
environment except for the debugger, so I guess I haven't seen that problem
either.  But I do think that Windows support in general is very important.

I have noticed that Johan Holmberg's Cons::Plus and Greg Spencer's
ConsExtensions.pl conflict in a few areas (sorry, I forget exactly where);
I'd like to see them both integrated into cons in a compatible way.  I'm
currently using Cons::Plus because it can be taught about the .cxx extension
and the nice $env->print method (I actually find the compiler myself via the
registry), but it sure would be nice to easily generate project files and
all the ancillary files that Greg's stuff knows about.

-- Gary Oberbrunner