RE: Are there Windows users of cons?

From: Anthony Kolarik
Subject: RE: Are there Windows users of cons?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:55:54 -0400

I found Greg's extensions very valuable in a VC++ development environment.

And actually Zach gave me a nice little script for creating conscript files from .dsp files, that worked well with Greg's stuff.

After fixing the command line overflow problem, fixing the msdev hard link breakage problem, adding support for compiling single files from within .dsp files, and adding support for compiling .idl files, people were pretty happy with it.

It'd be much easier to recommend converting to cons at my current job if I could point people to a straightforward conversion path from the current msdev based build system (I left all my fixes ect. at the last place, and don't have time to retrace my steps).  I don't know the numbers but I'd be somewhat surprised if msdev/VC++ accounts for less than 80% of the C/C++ development done on the various windows variants so if cons wants to "do windows" its probably worth it to add support for the 800 pound gorilla, in addition to the various windows specific build targets and ancillary file types.

That said, I imagine VC++ 7 and all the .NET stuff will probably be out soon, and with it probably a whole new slew of un/under-documented file types, microsoft buildisms, and bugs to work around.

Onward and upward!
 -- Tony K.