Re: patch for static linking

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: patch for static linking
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:16:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Brad Garcia wrote:
> > Why not do it with a cloned environment that sets SUFLIBS to just the
> > static suffix?
>
> Because it is possible to switch between dynamic linking and static
> linking on a single command line.
>
> For instance:
>
>     g++ -o foo a.o b.o -Wl,-Bstatic -lcompat -Wl,-Bdynamic -llib2
>
> The provided patch handles this correctly, switching between searching
> for only static libraries and searching for dynamic, then static as
> these linking options are parsed.

Aha.  Okay, then I'll suggest that, rather than making it tool-specific,
we add some construction variables to make the options settable:

        new cons(DYNAMIC_ONLY_LIB_FLAGS => ['-Wl,-Bdynamic',
                                        '-Wl,-dy',
                                        '-Wl,-call_shared'],
                 STATIC_ONLY_LIB_FLAGS => ['-Wl,-Bstatic',
                                        '-WL,-static',
                                        '-Wl,-dn',
                                        '-Wl,-non_shared']);

An obvious extension would be to allow them to be ':' separated as an
alterative.

I'm just really leery about tool-specific stuff in the guts of Cons.
As much as possible, I think we should do stuff through setting (and
therefore creating) appropriate construction variables...

        --SK