What do I need to build on Win2K?

From: Franz Amador
Subject: What do I need to build on Win2K?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:09:44 -0700

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with Cons on Linux for a while and get along
well with it there, but I can't get to first base with Cons on Win2K.
It won't run any of its regression tests.  I've tried both Cons 2.2.0
and Cons 2.3.0.  I have two environments on Win2K I'd like to build
in: MSVC from the "DOS" command prompt, and MSVC from a cygwin shell.
Neither work now, and the errors suggest basic "you don't have your
environment set up right" problems.  See below for the errors.

Is there anywhere I can look for info on how to set things up?

thanks,
Franz

Here's what I've seen so far.  I show the errors for only the first
test,
but all the others look the same.  When I build from the "DOS" window, I
get this:

   C:\cygwin\home\famador\cons-2.3.0\test>perl cons-test -x ..\cons
t0001.t
   cons-test:  C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe  -I . t/t0001.t
   No directory specified for -I.

   cons-test:  '..\cons' passed 0 tests, failed 1:
                   t/t0001.t

I'm using ActiveState perl 5.6.1 in this case:

   C:\cygwin\home\famador\cons-2.3.0\test>perl -v

When I try it from the cygwin shell window, I get this:

   address@hidden ~/cons-2.3.0/test
   $ ./cons-test -x ../cons t0001.t
   cons-test:  perl  -I . t/t0001.t
   cc -c foo.c -o foo.o
   cons: failed to execute "cc" (No such file or directory).
   [...]

I presume this happens because cygwin perl claims to be running on Unix,
so Cons tries to use cc even though I don't have it installed.  My
cygwin
perl is 5.6.1:

   address@hidden ~/cons-2.3.0/test
   $ perl -v

   This is perl, v5.6.1 built for cygwin

Forcing it to use MSVC doesn't work, again I presume because Cons still
thinks it's running on Unix, so it doesn't have MSVC's INCLUDE path
set right:

   address@hidden ~/cons-2.3.0/test
   $ ./cons-test -x ../cons CC=cl t0001.t
   cons-test:  perl  -I . t/t0001.t
   cl /nologo /c foo.c /Fofoo.o > nul
   cl /nologo /out:foo.exe foo.o
   LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "LIBC.lib"
   Command line warning D4024 : unrecognized source file type 'foo.o',
object file assumed
   [...]