Re: javac issues

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: javac issues
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:48:08 +0000

> address@hidden wrote:
>
> There's been periodic discussion of this on the list, in case
> you want to hunt around for it in the archive.  Unfortunately
> there doesn't seem to be any search functionality there, and I
> can't remember when the discussions took place :-(
Last time, just a couple months ago... But I wouldn't call that
discussion conclusive... :-/

> However here's something from the FAQ.
>  -- Tony K.
>
> 9.3. Does Cons support Java?
> Using Cons to build Java projects is possible, but not
> straightforward. Java has a number of characteristics that don't
> One approach that has been suggested would extend cons to scan
> the output of the Java -depend -verbose command to build
Yeah, I wanted to ask about that: which "Java" (sic) is that?
Sun JVMs don't recognize "-depend" option (I don't remember
the exact version I have at work; "java" from Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS
here doesn't know about it either).

I've been thinking about it - even without the "-depend" option
(which *should* exist, damit!), it is possible to disassemble
the .class file with "javap" and parse the text output. I tried,
it was quite easy, *but* it wasn't demonstrably correct, because
I couldn't find a real spec for the javap output (I must admit
I didn't look very hard). For best results, one should IMHO really
parse the .class files directly - but somehow I don't think
I can justify such a project to my employer... :-/

        Bye
                Vasek