Re: System includes

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: System includes
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:06:05 +0000

Wayne Scott wrote:
> * There are times when you do want a dependency on the system
> headers. For example if I am building a Linux module and I am
> getting the kernel headers from /usr/include/linux, I probably
> want to notice when the headers are changed.  Or when building
> on NFS on multiple machines and you want to recompile if your
> used the wrong headers. (A stretch I know...)
When computer support includes the compiler in the collection of
automatically-updated standard apps, I also want to know about
system headers changing (that's *not* a stretch - in practice, I
hope they won't upgrade the compiler before telling everybody
first, but I'm not sure people who never debugged it appreciate
just how awful problems even a managed compiler upgrade can cause,
so I'd prefer to make the extra guarantee)...

        Bye
                Vasek