RE: Possible error in dependency checking a lots of other points

From: Charles Crain
Subject: RE: Possible error in dependency checking a lots of other points
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:29:49 -0600

<snip>
Sure, you can do that on *your* computer, or on each
computer you install to, but can you guarantee that it won't
conflict on a computer with "ACME Construction Software"
installed that also has a ".cons" extension?  Apple
maintains a list of registered filetypes, so that if you
want, you can check and see if a filetype is registered.  At
least then you're guaranteed not to conflict with a filetype
registered by another developer.
</snip>

OOOOH, I misunderstood, then.  I thought you *meant* registered on the
computer itself, not with a central body, like Apple.

Yeah, in Windows you are pretty much shooting from the hip.

-Charles