still trying to get pcons to work

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: still trying to get pcons to work
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:15:38 +0100

ok, I am running out of ideas. I posted several times in the past on the
cons mailing list about pcons not working (i.e.
http://www.baldmt.com/parallel-cons/pcons-2.3.0 from
http://www.baldmt.com/parallel-cons/)

since the current cons CVS has some bug fixes that are not in the stable
version, I grabbed the pcons diff
(http://www.baldmt.com/parallel-cons/pcons-2.3.0.diff) and applied it to
the current cons cvs. It applies fine, but still doesn't work. I have
attached the version I obtained in this mail.

I turned on some of the pcons debug messages I saw in the diff, and here
is what I'm getting:

address@hidden:~/Id/GtkRadiant$ ~/pcons -j10
max_jobs set to 10
gcc -g -D_DEBUG -Ilibs -c Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.cpp -o
Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.o
waited: Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.oon: parent24269
( ar r Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.a Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.o ) && ( ranlib
Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.a )
waited: Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.aon: parent24273
Install Debug/libs/cmdlib/cmdlib.a as Debug/libs/cmdlib.a
gcc -g -D_DEBUG -Ilibs -Ilibs/jpeg6 -c Debug/libs/jpeg6/jcomapi.cpp -o
Debug/libs/jpeg6/jcomapi.o
waited: Debug/libs/jpeg6/jcomapi.oon: parent24276
gcc -g -D_DEBUG -Ilibs -Ilibs/jpeg6 -c Debug/libs/jpeg6/jdapimin.cpp -o
Debug/libs/jpeg6/jdapimin.o

obviously, it doesn't parallelizeat all. The build times I get on my SMP
machine with regular cons or with pcons are the same.

cons:
real    2m6.522s
user    1m58.140s
sys     0m8.110s