RE: is there a CONS mailing list archive?

From: Richard Eperjesi
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:36:31 -0600

Hi Nadim,

I am a C++ guy, do not know much about perl and it's stated on the CONS page
that perl knowledge is not required - that's why I started looking at CONS.

My first problem is that I cannot run the cons-test script succesfully. If I
pass a non-existent test script it says ran successfully, if I run it on an
existing one, it fails, complaining about not having any directory specified
for -I:

C:\cons-2.2.0\test>perl cons-test -d t -x C:\cons-2.2.0\cons -I
C:\cons-2.2.0\te
st\Test t0001.t
cons-test:  CC not defined! using 'cc'
cons-test:  AR not defined! using 'ar'
cons-test:  RANLIB not defined! using 'ranlib'
cons-test:  C:\IndigoPerl\bin\perl.exe t/t0001.t
No directory specified for -I.

cons-test:  'C:\cons-2.2.0\cons' passed 0 tests, failed 1:
                t/t0001.t

C:\cons-2.2.0\test>

/* I know that I should set CC, AR, RANLIB and all variables later, but the
error message does not seem to be related to that in this case. */

I also tried to put together a simple Construct script to see how CONS
starts processing it and just to get an idea how it works. Here is my script
and the output I get when I run it:

/* Construct script - BEGIN */
# -*- Perl -*-

Import qw(CONS INCLUDE LIB BIN PYTHON SWIG TABLES BUILD BUILDTYPE EXPORT
DEFINES RULES);

$env = new cons(
        CC      =>      'ccppc',
        LIBS    =>      'libworld.a'
  );

Program $env 'hello', 'hello.c';
/* Construct script - END */
/* Output - BEGIN */
C:\temp\test>cons hello
cons.bat: error in file "Construct" (Can't call method "path" on an
undefined va
lue at C:\cons-2.2.0/cons.bat line 852.)
cons.bat: script errors encountered: construction aborted

C:\temp\test>
/* Output - END */

Also, can you tell me what the magic qw does? I see it everywhere in scripts
(eg: Build qw(<params>); Import qw(<params>)).

Thanks for your help. CONS looks interesting, would be nice to have
something that can compete with make and platform and IDE independent.

Richard