Re: Some questions for Cons

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Some questions for Cons
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:16:05 -0500

Timothee Besset wrote:

cons (at least the current 2.3.1 version from cvs) is feature complete
(except for parallel builds), and doesn't have any known bugs (right?). I
am using it on my own projects because in it's current state it fits me
well.

We are also using cons in a big way, developing a family of cross-platform products (see www.genarts.com) on Irix, Linux, Win32, and soon MacOS X. We love it.

There has been some talk about generalizing some things, notably support for new compilers, but I don't know if anything is getting done on it. I wish I had some time to do it myself, but as cons is working quite well for us now it's hard for me to justify the time.

However, it doesn't seem to get some developement effort anymore. This
mailing list has been fairly quiet. If I were to start a new project now,
I would probably have a look at scons [...]

I agree that scons is probably still too new for production use, but it's definitely worth a look -- I think the basic model of cons/scons is really ideal. It can always use some cleanup around the edges, and scons will be a good push in that direction, but having tried a number of make alternatives before, I feel that cons's model is the best out there.

(And by the way, I know maybe not a lot of major work is getting done on cons, but I and a few others do submit patches every now and then.)

-- Gary Oberbrunner