RANT

From: Bob Sidebotham
Subject: RANT
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 13:43:07 -0800 (PST)

BEGIN RANT

I've just spent four or five hours trying to build and install apache
from source, and still have not succeeded. I am reminded why cons was
built in the first place.

In order to build apache, you have to grab other modules you might be
interested in (like mod_ssl, or mod_perl) and they are magically
inserted into the apache tree. So you go through this laborious process
by which different modules are added one at a time. Then you get to the
apache build, and it fails for some reason or other (in my case, it's a
shared library problem with libmm). The really bad thing is that when
it fails in this manner, if you run make again, it thinks it's built
the failed item, and proceeds. You can type make several times, and
each time it will fail at a different place!

The only reliable way to start over is to remove *all* the source trees
(all the extensions, etc.) and start over again from scratch. I have
now done this half a dozen times!!!!

END RANT

Bob

P.S. Sorry about using up bandwidth here. I just needed a place to
vent. It doesn't seem like there's any point in talking to the apache
folks. The only way reasonable way to solve this would involve a total
overhaul of their build system...