Re: Some questions for Cons

From: Erich Waelde
Subject: Re: Some questions for Cons
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:16:54 +0100

Hello all,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:27:07AM -0500, Anthony Kolarik wrote:

> One is the doc, which is a bit obscure due to it's
> "anti-make/tutorial/reference manual" format, and a few years of ad hoc
> changes and additions.  I assume cons doc is a low priority for people on
> the list who've muddled through it already or who are fluent in perl.  But
> IMHO cons usage would really benefit from a total re-write of the doc, _and_
> a few working sample build trees right in the tarball.
>
> The other weakness for a fair number of potential users is the (relative
> lack of) win32 support.  There are a couple of good cons extensions to make
> up for this.  Having something that's supported and available right out of
> the box might help give cons more of the user base it deserves.
>  -- Tony K.

I agree on these two points. I said in an earlier post that I'm willing
to create such "out-of-the-box" examples and roll them into a package
of some sort (tar file?). I suggest to do small, self-contained
trees with Construct.{unix,windows,cygwin} files. Since I do not
have access to windows world compilers, I would be pleased if someone
would like to help me on this.

Comments, snippets, examples from your daily work would be most
welcome. I also discovered that the testsuite is a good source
for such things. I'll check the list again for such things, some are out
there.

Cheers,
Erich
--
The purpose of computing is insight  ---  not numbers.
        Richard Hamming 1962