Re: How do I inhibit the copying of the source files to the build tree

From: david . weidenkopf
Subject: Re: How do I inhibit the copying of the source files to the build tree
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:49:14 -0800

Hi all, I would like to chime in and supplement my colleague Keith's comments. If you don't "link" then you cannot do variant builds, am I right? The way I see it, we want Cons to build our source tree and use compiler options to redirect the output based on the variant build directory ( build\debug\...\xxx.obj ). This seems to imply that Cons would have to maintain two sets of .consign files ( one set in the source tree, and one in the build tree ). My suspicion is that Cons wasn't designed for this and cannot do this without a redesign. If your filesystem supports links, then it isn't a problem. We use clearcase (MVFS) which supports links, but for controlled elements. The "build" dir is not a clearcase controlled element, which begs the question, could it be?

NTFS ( Win2k ) does support hardlinks for files only, but again we are using the clearcase filesystem (MVFS).

We are trying our best to use Cons, but we cannot disrupt the workflow of our developers. We are building drivers and applications for XP, clearcase is our configuration managment system, and we use the DevStudio environment for debugging. These facts are not going to change. I appreciate the flexibility of other platforms and environments, but this is our world.

Can anyone advise us as to whether we have any hope of getting Cons to do what we want? Have we made the problem clear?

Thanks for your comments

David Weidenkopf
Software Engineer
Philips Ultrasound