Re: Creating dependancies with remote objects

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: Creating dependancies with remote objects
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:27:54 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> The part of the solution that I'm not too happy with is getting a
> dependancy from the source directory to the output files.  The issue
> is that since there are no files in the source directory than depend
> on anything - doing a 'cons -t .' in the source directory results in
> absolutely nothing happening...  Doing a 'cons .' in the root
> directory works, and so does 'cons path/to/objects_or_libs', but when
> using xemacs' compile mode, it's much easier to just do a 'cons -t .'

I haven't used the -t option much, but wouldn't it be natural if one
could say something like below ?

       $ cons -t #build
       $ cons -t #.

and have the # imply that the argument is evaluated relative to
the top-directory (after -t traversal). (# works well in tcsh,
but maybe # should be replaced with a better character, so it
doesn't interfere with Bourne shells comment syntax)

I tried to implement this in my copy of Cons, and it was quite
trivial to accomplish (2 lines of changes).

But I'm not familiar with the reasoning behind the current
implementation of the -t option, so I disabled some of the old logic.
( Why does the current implementation refuse to build
anything "above" the directory cons is invoked in, when the -t
option is given ? )

/Johan Holmberg