Re: Problem with dependancies

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: Problem with dependancies
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:03:11 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> Out of curiousity, why is Cons::Plus not merged into the main cons source?

A similar question was asked in Nov last year. See my answer then:

    http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/cons-discuss/2001-November/001639.html

At least part of the Cons::Plus functionality could very well be
added to main Cons.

For example: something like "ObjectsInDir" is obviously needed in
Cons, since both you and I (and others) seem to have a need for
something like that. With the current version of Cons it is
*impossible* (via the "official" interfaces) to get the following
two things at the same time:

   - compile a C/C++ file and place the output in a certain directory
   - get the automatic header-file dependency checking

I think this is strange for a tool that is much more "programmable"
than old make. A "loophole" in the Cons API's.

Other things in Cons::Plus may be more "controversial", and maybe
only reflect the way *I* like to use Cons. I don't know ....

>  Are there reliability issues I should be concerned about?

Yes ;-)

I don't have a suite of test-cases for Cons::Plus. If some of the
Cons::Plus functionality was added to main Cons, one would have to
write some testcases to go along with the new functionality.
I haven't felt the need to do that for Cons::Plus itself yet.

I have no idea what the maintainers of Cons think about the
functionality in Cons::Plus. If they were interested in adding some
of the functionality to main Cons, I would of course do my best to
help.

/Johan Holmberg