Re: Hmmm.... future of cons?

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Hmmm.... future of cons?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:25:11 -0400

It does seem that cons development is slow, if not stopped, these days. Certainly there's a lot that could/should be done: parallel builds, modularization, ease of customization, merging Cons::Plus, and default support for many more compilers & tools.

However, I have to say that with some minor customizations here, cons is now working very well for me. We're building our commercial product on Irix, Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X (CodeWarrior and gcc) with cons 2.3.0 and Cons::Plus, and are very happy with it. Perhaps that's why development has slowed? Cons has definitely "scratched my itch" (to use the Open Source metaphor). For me, on a day-to-day basis, it Just Works and I don't even think about it anymore.

So for any newbies thinking about jumping into cons, you should consider all the options carefully, but don't avoid it just because there aren't frequent cons releases. I don't think anything else out there is as good today. And if you don't like how it works, just change it -- it's only perl! :-)

-- Gary Oberbrunner