Re: Future of cons?

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: Re: Future of cons?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:02:10 -0400

Brad Garcia <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Nadim Khemir wrote:
>
>> Or is it that people that want to do things (that's Doug) don't
>> have the power to do it
>
> I think Doug was happy that Rajesh wasn't abandoning the project and
> would update the website when he gets back to the states.  If Doug
> actually wants to be the maintainer (of the website, or cons
> itself), then I have no problem with a transition, but I don't think
> that's what he wanted.

I was volunteering because no one else had.  I'm in the middle of
moving right now.  Weekdays I live in a hotel by myself and then drive
home one weekends to spend time with my family.  The point is that I
have several hours an evening to work on things like this.  I'm a big
fan of Cons.  It has made things easier on me in many ways; I wanted
to return the favor.

However, there currently is a webmaster and project lead.  I'm not
100% clear on the past.  I don't really know who the Project Lead is.
I was assuming it was Stephen.  I'm not going to judge anyone here or
tell them they're not working had enough or fast enough.  All I'm
saying is that if help is needed I can give it.

My feelings are that Cons has "work in the pipe" that needs to be
pushed out.  I'm talking about getting a new "stable" Cons out the
door.  Getting 2.3.1 released, tested, labeled "stable", and a web
site that reflects this seems to be something that needs doing.  I can
help with any or all of those things.

I don't want to become the permanent webmaster or release manager.
Assuming Rajesh never surfaced, I still wouldn't have wanted to do
more than what I've stated here.  It appears Rajesh is still willing
and able, I'm glad to let him continue.  Further, I'll still volunteer
my help if he wants it.

The only reason I said that there was "no hurry" is because no one's
life is at stake.  Releasing 2.3.1 within the next 30 - 45 days won't
keep anyone from filing bankruptcy.  I think giving Rajesh this amount
of time is worth the risk of alienating him.  Actual code contributors
for open source projects are hard enough to come by (for any specific
task) that it's not worth thumbing our noses at Rajesh.  Let's cut him
some slack.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn - Unix/Linux/Web Developing
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543