Re: Future of cons?

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: Future of cons?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 10:55:53 -0500 (CDT)

> >> Using SCons as the core: I think we must have a serious look at that. I
> >> mean
> >> that some people should try to present what is good and not. What the
> >> limitations. Is that what we want?
> > I'm biased, but I'd suggest we follow this path.  The SCons build engine
> > is architected for it from the ground up, it has a very slick job
> > architecture for parallel builds (courtesy Anthony Roach), it supports
> > easy specification of new Builder and Scanner objects, and 0.08 will
> > have a framework for simple and flexible specification of Platform and
> > Tool specifics in environments.
> Is there a Python parser for Java? I couldn't find one for Perl
> - there are parsers, but no Java grammar for them...

I don't know of a ready-made Java parser in Python.  I assume you're
asking for purposes of determining class dependencies, to figure out
what .jar files will be created from a given update?

How does Ant do this?  Does it automatically figure out class
dependencies?  Or does it rely on the dependencies being listed manually
in the XML config file?

Note that if there are some Java objects for parsing class and/or jar
files, porting SCons to Jython (Python implemented in Java) should be
easily doable, and reportedly provides very good integration with Java
classes.

(Disclaimer:  I don't really know Java, so I'm just spouting terms
that I've heard and read about.  I invite corrections if I've mistaken
anything in my description.)

        --SK