Re: pcons - problems solved

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: pcons - problems solved
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:48:18 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> If anyone knows how to figure out which of a list of targets are
> dependent on other targets (directly or indirectly), we can probably
> make this Default '.' stuff work.  If you have any ideas, let Timo or me
> know.

I'm not sure what kind of answer you expect. I don't know anything
about 'pcons', but a general Cons-answer I think would be:

The only code that knows what the dependency tree looks like is the
"build algorithm" itself in Cons. And this code is distributed both
in the "main" program of Cons, and in methods in the "file" class
(at least).

And since dependencies can be discovered at "tree-walking-time" (eg.
those detected by C-scanners) I think *no* code that just looks at a
"static" dependency tree can get everything right in all details.

Maybe I answered the wrong question ??  ;-)

/johan holmberg