Re: Building a source multiple times

From: jonas . olsson
Subject: Re: Building a source multiple times
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:20:08 -0700

The two ways to do this, without generating any new source files, are described
in section 7.4
in the cons FAQ. You make copies of the source, either using Install, or using
Link. Link is useful
for real variant, where you compile the same source. Install is useful when
only some source is
shared.

I know SIP is using shared code for the bridge code between real system and
simulator. The code
has a lot of #ifdef REAL in it. This would be better done with separate files,
without any #ifdefs.

Jonas

                      david.weidenkopf+FromInterNet@

                      philips.com                                To:
address@hidden
                      Sent by:                                   cc:  (bcc:
Jonas Olsson/ATL-BTL/MS/PHILIPS)
                      address@hidden                 Subject:   Building a
source multiple times

Classification:

                      06/24/02 10:02 AM

Hello CONS users,

I would like to get your opinion. We have developers who want to compile a
source file multiple times using different preprocessor symbols in the same
build. The objs are then linked into various executables. It's not what you
think of as a variant build
really because they might do this for test code or other purpose. Each
developer may use a different symbol, since their code is not coupled with the
other developers code. What I am trying to say is that you couldn't do a "test"
variant, or some other
thing. If we use variant builds we would have 20 different variant builds, and
they are all used for the same product on the same platform. You can't organize
it like debug and release, or windows and unix.

So the question is what do you think is the best way to solve this problem?

We are using Cons::Plus as well as some of our own code. The current plan is to
use install to temporarily copy the file to a new place to trick Cons into not
knowing it is the same file. My worry is that we confuse Cons so much with this
stuff, that it
becomes just as unreliable as what we are doing now (Dev Studio).

Finally, I am wondering why the need to compile a file more than once in the
same variant build is not supported. My guess is that the original designers
didn't consider this practice. By the way, I have argued extensively against
this practice here, but
to no avail.

Thanks for any insight

David Weidenkopf