Re: Future of cons

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: Re: Future of cons
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:11:08 +0200

Not much to say. I didn't even know the savannah SF tool existed. I see
that we have both the cons source repository and the web pages repository
there.

Going over some of the points:

> 1. unmaintainable code
> 2. monolithic nature of the code

Looks like it. I've been learning perl over the last months, but I know
I'm far from being able to understand what's in there. I restrict myself
to testing and writing test cases cause that's more or less all I can do
for now.

> 3. irregular (or no) release schedules
> 4. a general lack of development of the program
> 5. bad (or no) project management

Yep. All we need, is a new release / stable release of the 2.3.x stuff.
This is mainly:
- updating the web page
- building packages for a release

Issues with the current code .. I don't think there are many. Johan
Holmberg fixed a problem with the dependency scan recently, that's about
it. I have a bug against the parallell cons patch, but since this has
never been supported officially, it doesn't matter so much (At least not
when talking about a new release).

It doesn't take a huge amount of ressources to put out a new release.
Doing further developement (in terms of new features) would require a lot
more effort. So I guess that part is pretty much on hold till further
notice.

I don't think I can honestly say that I'm going to take care of a new
release. I maintain and release several other things already, I would
probably slap something together for cons, but it would be crappy. I had
hoped Johan Holmberg would be able to take the lead .. with our help of
course?

TTimo