Re: cons development

From: Bob Sidebotham
Subject: Re: cons development
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:06:58 -0800 (PST)

I'm confident that SCons is a significant improvement of design and
implementation over Cons, based on the rigor with which Stephen has
approached his work with Cons in the past, and based on what I've seen
of the SCons design documents, etc. I'm not so sure that the arguments
for Python as the implementation language are so compelling (to tell
the truth, I haven't really *seen* any arguments on this).

Rather than maintaining two separate, diverging software construction
systems, I think it would be interesting to consider translating SCons
from Python into Perl. The reference implementation would be maintained
in Python (or perhaps a superset of Python (or annotated Python) that
would allow easy translation into Perl or Python code).

Whaddya think?

Bob Sidebotham