Mutilevel build scripts

From: John Barker
Subject: Mutilevel build scripts
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:39:36 +0800

Hi,

I'm trying to do a medium sized project with Cons and it looks a little like this:

'Modules'   -> 'Outputs'
foolib -> { foolib.lib, foolib.h }
bazlib -> { bazlib.lib, bazlib.h }
brapexe -> { brap.exe } depends on { foolib, bazlib }
brapdll -> { brap.dll } depends on { foolib }
brapinstaller -> { installbrap.exe } depends on { brapexe, brapdll }

Each of the above modules is built with a Conscript, brapexe and brapinstaller have a Construct file because sometimes i need their individual outputs. So in the brapexe build directory I have a Construct, Conscript and Build file. The conscript file ties together all the dependencies like so:

Build qw( foolib/Conscript, bazlib/Conscript, Build );

Thus I'm hoping that for the brapinstaller to build brapexe it does not need to be aware of it's dependancies on foolib and bazlib, like so

Build qw( brapexe/Conscript, brapdll/Conscript, Conscript )

However when i try to build the installer it evaluates that both brapexe and brapdll depend on foolib so there are multiple ways of building foolib and it bails.

Is there a better way of doing this recursive style build structure?

Cheers,
JB