Re: Debian package and development of CONS

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Debian package and development of CONS
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:51:39 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:05:15PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > This strategy will make a transition from older cons to next cons more
> > tricky.
>
> I don't think we could neglect the ease of migration between 2.2 and
> 2.3.x/2.4...
>
> I had the intention to try a modularization (m12n, I like abbreviations
> and acronyms very much :-) of the current Cons code, and then package it
> as a set of Perl modules. I don't know yet how exactly, but I think we
> could just have a Cons::Backward or somethink like that.
[snip]

I'd be interested in helping with something like that.

Although, based on a cursory glance at the code, this would not be a
trivial task. The current implementation is very heavy on global variables
and such; it would be quite a bit of effort to overhaul it to be more
modular. It might take the same amount of effort to rewrite it from
scratch.

Leather is waterproof. Ever see a cow with an umbrella?