Re: Split cons code (was: Re: Debian package and development of CONS)

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: Split cons code (was: Re: Debian package and development of CONS)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:01:57 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> On Sept. 6, 2002, I submitted a message to this group that included source
> that has since fixed my dependency problems with the Command method.  We
> have been using Cons 2.3.0 and we are very happy with the performance and
> reliability.
> ---
> Rick Croote

Are we really talking about the same thing ?

Does your patched version work better than like below ? (I tried to
apply your patch, but couldn't notice any difference in this
situation).

Suppose you have a Construct file like:

        $e = cons->new();
        $e->Command("tgt.txt", "src.txt", "cp %<  %>");

And issue the following commands:

        $ echo "qwerty" > src.txt
        $ cons .
        cp src.txt tgt.txt
        $ cp /dev/null tgt.txt
        $ cons .
        cons.pl: "." is up-to-date.    <----- should NOT be up-to-date

Note that this is just a "as small as possible" example. As far as I
know it is not specific to "Command", but a general problem in 2.3.0
an later (even with your patch).

I would be glad to be proven wrong ...

/Johan Holmberg