Re: Request for comments: CONS specification

From: F. Schoenahl
Subject: Re: Request for comments: CONS specification
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:45:22 +0200

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 01:43:51 +0200
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:

> The two others tools I consider really complete out there are SCons and
> AAP. Boht are written in Python. Python has great advantages, but I
> really dislike it. Because I have been using it intensively for some
> time, I'm being better and better at Perl, and like it very much.

Ok -

> I think it's the main point why I would work on Cons instead of going
> into another valuable existing project.

I undestand - you seem also very motivated to develop new cons  -  If I can
suggest some features to think about :

"scons" requires reading local information and file changes and is therefore
long to trigger, "make" reacts very quick a contrario. AAP is in the middle.
That's a good point, when developping small-middle scale project, It is always
good to have a build system that doesn't take too much time.

"SCons" has a make-like way to compile files, "aap" uses additional directories
aap-build-directories, where objects are stored. This is a good idea because it
avoids complex tunings to store objects at specific places.

"aap" has a very promising "configure" feature, which is very experimental but
imho, it is a very good idea to have configuration skills for a build system,
same language for the whole stuff +1

I find "aap" and "scons" are not clear about the "install" features. I think it
should be very easy to include a ginstall like feature.
The point is that all developper attempt to do one very big modular software :
do it modular ok, but maybe good to have a small suite of three programs : e.g.
ncons ninst nconf to make the build system complete.

Imho, skip back compatibility with the current cons, this will make things far
easier.

Finally the installation of aap in a windows environment is very simple, "aap
install"  configures everything and aap works. Scons requires some additional
tunings, but is also quite easy to make run.

Just some suggestions! hope this helps,

I wish you good luck, and am somehow happy to see that cons may have a nice
future - it was one of the most interesting development tools I discovered some
monthes ago!

fred

--
.  Frédéric SCHOENAHL