Re: Request for comments: CONS specification

From: Pierre THIERRY
Subject: Re: Request for comments: CONS specification
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:58:33 +0200

> "aap" has a very promising "configure" feature

This should be available as a module. When the steps needed to build
evreything are all known, Cons should search what components are
available to trigger those steps (either locally or on distant systems
when clustering the build process).

> Imho, skip back compatibility with the current cons, this will make
> things far easier.

For the developpers, yes, but not for the users. And I think we develop
more for the users than for the developper. Even if our users are mainly
developpers. ;-)

It should not be very difficult to maintain backward compatibility, so I
have the feeling we could do a mistake breaking it...

> Finally the installation of aap in a windows environment is very
> simple, "aap install"  configures everything and aap works.

I hope Cons will be easay to package, so someone could do a very simple
Win32 installation.

Quickly,
le Moine Fou
--