Re: CONS specs update?

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: CONS specs update?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:41:23 -0700

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:24:00PM +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone has made any progress on the CONS spec? This
> > thread has been silent for a while.
>
> I'm on the structure of the new CONS system, but I was just too busy
> last week to finish it.
>
> In the meantime, If some people could write how a build must happen for
> their favorite language, this would be great. I quickly installed a Wiki
> for this purpose:
>
> http://arcanes.fr.eu.org/~pierre/CONS%20revival/Wiki/index.cgi?SpecificBuilds
>
> No matter if many build descriptions are redundant, the main goal is to
> have a broad view of what CONS will have to be able to do. The more
> descriptions we have, the more chances we have to not forget something
> important in CONS structure.
[snip]

OK, I added a bunch of stuff to the page. :-) I'm not sure how useful
it is... I wanted to add a page on custom code generators, but I
wasn't sure if it belonged there because it's just a broad scheme that
may be used. Basically, this covers all builds where the source code
(C, C++, Java, or anything, really) is generated by another program
from a template or definition file. I.e., the user does not edit the C
source file, but the input to some generator program. To build the
program, the user runs the tool on the template to create the C source
file, and then build the C source file.

Obviously, it doesn't have to be C... for example, I have written a
few programs that preprocesses LaTeX code and does complex string
processing to specially marked sections in the input. (Sorta like the
C preprocessor, except for a very specific purpose.)

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.