Cluster builds on windows

From: jonas . olsson
Subject: Cluster builds on windows
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:22:43 -0700

Has anyone done cluster builds with cons? I think the roblem can be divided into a few
parts:

1. Splitting the tasks in parallel (the pcons diffs do this for UNIX on a single mcahine)
2. Running the tasks on different machines
3. Making sure the source code is available on the different machines.

What's the best approach for 3? Should the slave machines cache the source
or is a network file system fast enough? I would probably start with a windows share and
see how it works.

What is a good strategy to distribute tasks? There are two main cases:

1: a real cluster connected with gigE or faster interconnect doing one build.

2: A lot of desktop machines connected with corporate ethernet doing several builds.
A developer starts a a build (or a scheduled build starts) and the build recruits available machines.

Has anyone ported pcons to Windows? Copying the unix do_command to th windows
section doesn't work. ActiveState perl complains about Bizzare error in fork().

Jonas