Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Sockethub introduction

From: Nick Jennings
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Sockethub introduction
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:56:05 +0100

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 1 February 2013 12:25, Nick Jennings <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Sockethub is not trying to create "yet another protocol" or solution
>> that requires a critical mass adoption before it achieves it's
>> potential, but rather mitigate the effect that these competing
>> protocols have on the users, and developers.  One person can use
>> Sockethub to it's full potential. I think that's a huge plus for the
>> project, it's not trying to take on too much, just solve an important
>> - specific - problem, and do it well. It can then be used as a
>> building block for multiple use-cases, and approaches, to the bigger
>> issues at hand.
>

> Well it is 'yet another protocol' in terms of stitching together other apis
> and providing your own.
>
> Scalability is the challenge where most projects stumble.
>
> http://xkcd.com/927/
>
> See above :)  Good luck!

I've seen that comic and love it :) I agree 100%.

 Sockethub has no intentions of trying to become a standard, nor would
it make any sense, since it's a private interface. Like I said before,
it makes more sense to think of it as a development library, who's
interface happens to be through WebSockets (and therefore needs a
method of data transport - ie. JSON) and can handle server-logic for
unhosted web apps. There's no front facing standard, you can't connect
and use a Sockethub instance unless you're authorized to do so. etc.