Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:28:02 +0100

On 1 March 2013 09:39, Hugo Roy <address@hidden> wrote:
Le dimanche 17 février 2013 à 13:16 +0100, Hugo Roy a écrit :
> I think we should change the terminology to avoid confusion. This isn't
> necessarily about "personal data" but about "user data" as the manifesto
> title suggests. (in most occurrences of the text, it simply menas to
> write "their data")
>
> Here are my suggestions attached

Hi,

Any comment on these suggestions?
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/consensus/2013-02/txtZ5VLz15Cr2.txt

(1) and (4) are not 100% the same

To my mind (1) talks about read access, and (4) talks about write access (modify).

I think you need both, because data becomes less useful when you are restricted from changing some or all of it.

I was reading it again quickly now. And I have come to the conclusion
that the manifesto's format should be changed. I think we only need 3 or
4 main points; all the rest should be explained to give details on the
point, from both the technical and rights standpoints (people on the
list made good suggestions from the technical side, maybe it's time to
merge them…)

I am looking forward to your thoughts on that

Best,
--
Hugo Roy
  FSFE Legal Team Deputy Coordinator