Re: [GNU/consensus] Why support "Reset the Net" ? I don't get it

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] Why support "Reset the Net" ? I don't get it
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 22:40:27 -0500

carlo von lynX wrote:
Yet the things the page recommends are band-aids.

None of the problems you cite are easily fixed. The FSF can't easily get people to stop using non-free software despite over 30 years of positing robust counterarguments that rely on unchanging principles--ethics--and demonstrating doing ethical computing via their own acts. That challenge doesn't mean it's time to give up on software freedom.

- The recommended solutions for mail and chat
   are obnoxious for normal users to install and
   will be obsolete in a year or so, since no-one
   should stick to mail and chat that does not
   protect the social graph "meta" data.

I won't argue that email is sometimes problematic but, as others have pointed out, email isn't going away anytime soon (a lot of other stuff depends on email). I'd also argue that decentralized approaches to electronic communication should not go away because decentralization is critical to regaining privacy by running one's own servers. I understand that the FreedomBox hackers are working from this basis as well for the services that computer will use.

- The idea that all HTTP sites should upgrade
   to HTTPS, without at least convincing one CA
   to hand out free *.domain certificates, is just
   an amazing promotional campaign for the CA industry.

Or one could consider the Firefox add-on that avoids using CAs altogether. As I'm guessing you're aware, Moxie Marlinspike had a lecture about the CA problem at the 2011 Black Hat security conference titled "SSL And The Future Of Authenticity"[Future of Authenticity]. He's also behind the Convergence Firefox add-on[Convergence] which offers a practical means of avoiding the CA system while still using HTTPS websites.

- Would be better if the web browsers were supporting
   proper pinning of self-signed certificates. Or
   supporting cacert.org so people can reasonably get
   free certs. They can show the sites with a yellow
   box instead of a green one (if Mozilla thinks cacert
   is less safe, which in the current situation is a
   ridiculous assertion anyway), but leaving the web in
   a state of utter brokenness is sick.

Running a CA isn't easy and recommending any particular CA is risking this part of one's message on the future behavior of that CA. If that CA's methods fail and browser programmers remove that CA from the browser, website admins who used that CA are left to pick a new CA. This is the DigiNotar problem all over again.

- Would be better to fix the scalability of Tor hidden
   services so we can use .onion instead of the broken
   HTTPS thing. Or if that doesn't work, use GNUnet for
   the "light web"

Tor is great but this objection is a bit inconsistent with your objections above -- it can't be that bad to expect non-technical computer users to install a browser add-on if you're okay with expecting them to switch to using Tor.

- Would be better to deploy opportunistic forward
   secrecy implemented in JS over HTTP (naif has been
   working on that)

Javascript has its own problems for privacy protection. For example, JS is quite powerful and capable of reading information which few websites can legitimately justify collecting. JS can track mouse/keyboard activity, for instance.

- Would be better if campaign websites weren't themselves
   collecting personal data before even saying anything
   (the first thing it shows is a prompt to drop your
   e-mail into a box.. very reassuring).

This is better directed at the people who run https://www.resetthenet.org/ and not the FSF.

I have JS turned off by default in my browser, so if they're using JS to hide some or all of the site until you submit an email address I never noticed that. When I visited https://www.resetthenet.org/ I saw a direct link to the WebM movie for the site, I was able to read all the text, I could have downloaded the site graphics, and I was able to scroll through the site information all without supplying an email address. I really don't think I missed anything that site has to offer.

The FSF-written webpages which refer to the "Reset the Net" campaign:

https://fsf.org/blogs/community/reset-the-net
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/

do not ask for one's email address to read the FSF's take on the matter.

[Future of Authenticity] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Wl2FW2TcA Unfortunately I don't know of another source for this talk than YouTube which, when used in the normal fashion, needs non-free JS to use. Therefore I recommend not visiting the site in the normal way but instead use youtube-dl to download the video, or turn off JS for YouTube and visit this URL with the "UnPlug" Firefox add-on installed to get the video.

[Convergence] http://convergence.io/