Re: [GNU/consensus] [Unlike-us-tech] <unlike-us> About D-CENT - fork to

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [Unlike-us-tech] <unlike-us> About D-CENT - fork to unlike-us-tech list
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 10:36:09 -0300

On 10/01/2014 06:46 AM, Gert van Velzen wrote:
> Thanks for posting this Geert.
>
> Scanning this, it seems they're getting many things right.
> Also OKF and W3C involvement is a good sign for interoperability.

*** Really?

Here is my opinion: this is planted by the forces of the Status Quo to
keep social networking under control of the prying eyes.

I read, on page 4: "Why open standards? Why not just open-source? For
many programmers, using open-source software - or the more restrictive
"free software" as defined by GPL licensing - is enough."

That is obviously an attack on software freedom. The wording here leaves
no doubt that the author of that paper want to shun free software
(written in quotes!) by calling it restrictive, and pose open-source as
a legitimate, but insufficient "model".

It attributes the failure of the Diaspora* project to its licensing,
framing the technology, rather than the invention, and its obvious lack
of compatibility with the existing environment, as the problem.  It
proceeds to attack peer-to-peer technologies as a whole, with the same
lack of perspective, simply to push a unique agenda of shedding light to
some technologies that we know cannot address the global surveillance
issue that we've been submitted to.

I could go on for every single chapter of this paper.  It's so oriented
to a single aspect of social networking technology that it's shameful to
say the least.  The technical value of this document nears zero.  The
first version of it, a few years ago, was already a complete rip-off of
the work done by grassroots activists.  That is how they receive EU
funding in the first place: by co-opting Lorea, without even contacting
the team for consulting or support--now when it comes to free software,
the authors are happy to make it serve their interest.  The D-Cent
perspective certainly evolved a lot since their first publication, but
frankly, co-option is not where you want to be looking at.

==
hk