contacts-hackers

[Contacts-hackers] Contact management database (was Re: Fund raising inf

From: loic
Subject: [Contacts-hackers] Contact management database (was Re: Fund raising infrastructure)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:25:14 +0200

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:

 > I can certinaly see advantage to using vCard, if you think it can be done
 > easily.  Can we integrate it easily with some XML based structure if we
 > use vCard?

        If we chose to use vCard, we give up XML for the contact database.
It means that we rely on the existence of tools that allow us to forget
about the underlying format we are using. This is not as satisfying as
using and XML based standard but the wide range of tools dealing with
vCard should compensate this.

 > Or, should we try to use the XML DTD for it?

        Since it was abandonned available tools won't be able to use it.

        At that point I think we should try to find out if we have enough
tools to use vCard. I'll try that myself (emacs VM + web) and let you know
if I'm happy with what I find. This will give us a good hint on the
useability of vCard in the real world.

        Cheers,