coreutils

Re: man pages: formatting of entries in "SEE ALSO" section

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: man pages: formatting of entries in "SEE ALSO" section
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 15:23:06 +0100

Hi Padraig,

On 1/2/21 1:23 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> The man viewer has enough context to highlight these references as
> appropriate,
> so we shouldn't be explicitly specifying style.

Hmm, 'man' on my system doesn't show them in bold, and neither does the
HTML view via 'man -H'.  Does it do for you?

man(1) and man-pages(7) explicitly mark the SEE ALSO entries as bold, so that
seems
to be the general direction.  So I'm 55:45 for using the explicit variant.

One ML reader (Mingye Wang) wrote to me privately that he would also recommend
the bold formatting.

FWIW: if we'd consider changing to bold:
the syntax-check rule 'sc_prohibit_man_see_also_period' only works with
'\fB...\fP'
entries in one line, while having each entry in a separate '.BR' line would be
easier
to read.

> I also agree with the cat(1) reference,
> so +1 to the whole patch.

Thanks.  To have the formatting consistent for now, I've wrapped the
diff into a proper patch (attached).  Feel free to apply.

Thanks & have a nice day,
Berny